Sunday, April 13, 2014

One For You and One For Me, Monthly Stitich - Sewing Double

Double bomber jackets....New Look 0912 YAY!!   A couple of week ago, we were out touring with my mom and it got a bit cold.  The only jacket in the car was my bomber so my son put it on.  After an hour or so, he decided he wanted to keep my jacket.  Thanks, I love it too.  lol.  So he kept asking me to making him one.  I was not sure how the pattern would look on a young boy (He does have a reputation to consider and all) but I decided to give it a try.  He picked out the digital camo and I got to work.



This fabric is very thick...almost like a canvas but it worked.  I found it at Joann's.  I did use a softer black cotton on the backside of the collar because I could not image trying to turn it with double thick canvas. I used a super thick knit ribbing for the bottom band and cuffs.  The fabric combination broke three needles on my serger (we will not discuss the hissy fits that occurred.......just know it wasn't pretty) but the thicker ribbing was needed to stand up against the canvas like fabric.

I used New Look 0912 sewed it up just like my first one. I added an archer collar and went with a knit ribbing to finish the bottom and cuffs instead of the elastic casing.  This is a really easy and quick pattern to put together.

My son loves it.  Thankfully it is suppose to snow twice this week so maybe he can wear it a few times before summer.  I did make the body a bit larger so he has room to grow (he just turned 10 and is 5'1').  I made the sleeves to fit him right now but cut out a replacement set for later use.  If he grows out of it or gets sick of it, I will happily snatch it up.



6 comments:

  1. Fab, he must love it. I can just imagine your pain at the broken needles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. He got to wear it to school today and was pretty happy. :) Thankfully I didn't run out of needles because I may have just given up! :)))))

      Delete
  2. Now I absolutely must make myself a bomber jacket. Both of these are great looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I high recommend this pattern! I love it and it goes together so quickly.

      Delete
  3. Great job! My boys are getting to the size where I can steal my 13 year-old's shoes. I try to stay on the girly side to avoid losing clothes to them. My daughter stole most of my wardrobe during her teens.
    I'm going to show this to my nine-year old. I think he may try to reach through the computer and take it from your son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Annette. My daughter (20) is still stealing my clothes but I never thought my son would. LOL. Will be making more dresses in the future!

    ReplyDelete