Thursday, May 29, 2014

I might die of shock! She actually use one of her Burda magazines!!!

Shocking news.......I finally used a Burda magazine pattern.  I have been collecting these magazines for years but I never sewed a thing from them.  I guess I was collecting them for the pretty pictures and endless possibilities.  Why the change you ask?  Well, I think the no-ready-wear challenge is really helping to improve my sewing skills and confidence level.  So with that new confidence, I braved the crazy scribble pattern paper and traced Burda 114 5/2010.

First time = Success!  I love wearing this dress.  I made it out of tutti fruiti fabric I found on the Hancock Fabric clearance table.  I love saying tutti fruiti fabric.......lol.  I have never worked with this fabric before but I will be again soon.  This stuff is lovely to sew with and so wonderful to wear in hot weather!  I am a fan! It also blows delightfully in the wind.  
The pattern was really easy to put together.  I love the finished project but next time I will probably replace the actually button up front with a fake button up front. It was a lot of work for no actual purpose. Check out the back.....cute right?  Pardon the blurry picture....my daughter had me laughing.
Well, the whole experience has been liberating and I have already cut out my next pattern. 
I know I am very late to this party but I love Burda Magazines and I am so glad I finally found the courage to actually use them!







11 comments:

  1. What a great back on this dress! I know what you mean about the pattern sheets - they look like the schematic for a nuclear power plant. Once you actually haul one out and crack the code, they're not so bad though. Really nice job on this dress, and the fabric is perfect for the style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Love your 'crack the code' comment.......so perfectly stated! LOL.

      Delete
  2. Wow I love this dress. Definately something I would wear all summer long. Oddly I have never seen this mythical magazine. I always look for it when in town but never found one. I did get a magazine called SEW HOME for a while but there was only ever one dress pattern per issue so it felt like an extravagant purchase. I sew a lot from Japanese pattern books and they have maze like pattern pages to trace off. It can take longer to trace off the pattern than sew the garment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know Burda just stated a USA magazine that I have seen in Joann's lately but I love the European version (it comes in English too) which you have to order from their website. It is a bit pricing but if you use the patterns well worth it. Though, I really love the clothes you have been making from the Japanese books!

      Delete
  3. This is so pretty! Lovely pattern and I love the fabric. Looks great on you. I must look into Burda mags but as, being new to sewing, I've been on a pattern buying frenzy lately maybe it'll have to wait til my husband has got over the shock, lol. I also think I need a bit more experience to tackle Burda - I've heard they're not so easy to follow...Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I am doing the NRW challenge this year and when it first stated I went on a fabric buying frenzy. I am usually an extreme saver and hate spending money. During those few months, my husband thought I lost my mind. :)) Every now and then I like to keep him guessing. lol.

      Delete
  4. PS I love the way it says 5.53am... I live in the UK; I'm not really up in the middle of the night, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT is an adorable dress! I love the back. You look gorgeous! Yay for using your Burda!! What edition of Burda did you use? I collected tons and only made 1 pattern. So I paired way down and have only 3 Burda and 2 OTTOBRE. The Ottobre is next on my list of things to sew up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE you GG! Thanks so much! It is the May 2010 edition. I just found OTTOBRE a couple of weeks ago.......a new addiction! :)

      Delete
  6. This is so darling - fresh and summery. I'm going to go look for this pattern now!

    ReplyDelete