Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The.......I suck at making muslin's dress - Darling Ranges Dress

I LOVE all the independent patterns out there but always wonder about sizing when I use a new company. So, when I printed out this pattern I decided to make a muslin.  It fit perfectly so I went ahead and made the dress out of my fashion fabric.......and it was too small.  This stuff happens to me all the time.  The muslin fabric isn't the same as the fashion fabric and it just doesn't work out. What am I doing wrong?   Grrrrr. Thankfully, I had enough fabric left to make a second one that fit.
In order to get the fit right, I ended up doing a FBA.   Most likely the first and last time I will ever do this adjustment but hey for one day I needed it! Write that down in the history books folks! LOL. I wanted a very loose fit for hot summer days and the end results was just what I was hoping for.  
Not to mention it has pockets!  I used a mystery fabric that is not the best quality.  It is frays a lot and sometimes it frays nowhere near the edge.  I have a feeling I better enjoy the dress this summer because I don't think it will not last very long.
I love my little black bow in the back!  
It is the Darling Ranges dress from Megan Nielsen.  I love the dress and am sure I will give in and make another one because the variations on her pinterest board are inspiring!  I love that she has a board for each of her patterns with variation ideas.  LOVE!


6 comments:

  1. Enjoy it while it holds together because its lovely. Lovely coulour and shape on you. Do make another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I have been wearing it quite a bit and love how comfy it is....will be making another soon.

      Delete
  2. The dress looks great on you! Lovely for a hot summer day. Ahh... allow in the breeze.

    And, my dear, I do believe you have answered your own question. I keep hearing over and over from the experts that you must make your muslin in identical fabric to your fashion fabric in order for the fitting to truly work out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the cutest Darling Ranges I've seen, and I spend an obscene amount of time trolling sewing blogs. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE! Thanks so much. It is tough little pattern but great dress to wear!

      Delete
  4. I love this dress and I am so happy that you had enough fabric to make one that fit so well! Love that you added pockets!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete