Sunday, January 31, 2016

My First Coat!!! Simplicity 2638

I made a COAT!  In the past, I have manage to make a fewbomber jackets but I was never brave enough to tackle a coat until now!  The whole process taught me that I have a TON more learning to do.  I am VERY happy with the results but I definitely need way more knowledge about adding linings and collars.  I had to draft half of the lining and tried three different ways before I could live with the results.  Also the collar on this coat took me forever!!  It may look a bit off in the pictures but I promise that it is straight.  I lost a ton of blood, tears and sweat to make sure!  LOL   So here it is.....a vintage Simplicity 2638!


Another picture in the snow.  I wish I could say that I took the last couple of pictures on the same day but sadly no......it really has been snowing like mad here in Colorado.  On to the coat....... I used a lightweight red wool that I got for my birthday about two years ago. I had to build up the guts to use it.   I only had 2 1/2 yards so I really had to search for a pattern that I loved. I used ambiance for the lining.  My favorite part of this coat is the big collar which is my husband's least favorite.  LOL.


So many 'first time evers' happened while making this coat.  It was my first time adding a welted pocket to anything.  I thought it was going to be the hardest part (was I ever in for a surprise) but it was somewhat simple.  I used silly fabric for the pockets and kinda love them..


The collar was a challenge for me because the method used was to sew the under collar to the coat and the upper collar to the facing.  After that, you lined everything up and sewed them together and all should work well.  It didn't.  (I have enrolled and completed the collar class on Crafsty since making this coat)  Thankfully after a lot of seam ripping and frustration, it turned out well.


The lining was the hardest part for me because some of the pattern was missing.  I had to draft the front panels and I can barely add a lining to a skirt so that was hard for me.  I tried to add the lining and tack it to the hem but it kept pulling the coat.  So I then tried to bag the lining and found that I clearly needed more knowledge.  So finally, I add the lining with a floating hem and hemmed the coat with interface and pretty ribbon.  My arm lining is really loose but it wears well and so I am happy with it.

In the end, I am really thrilled with the finished product!  It tuned out to be just what I was hoping for.  My first coat and I planned to wear it everywhere!!!!







Tuesday, January 12, 2016

My Trio of Archers

One of my very favorite patterns ever is the Grainline Archer.  I love this shirt and I believer her sew-a-long elevated my sewing to a completely new level.  I started taking more risks in my sewing after making my first shirt.  I just love the mechanics of making this pattern......slow and somewhat technical sewing makes my heart happy.


If I decide to make one, I find the fabric to make at least two in an assembly line type fashion.  It is a bit time consuming and two is always better than one but three is best!!  


My previous archers are great but I found my perfect length this time. I live in Colorado and this type of shirt is often my winter uniform (along with maxi shirts and leggings). 


I picked up all the fabric at JoAnn's.  The first two are shirting flannel and I LOVE them.  The last one is a cotton with a bit of a stretch in it.  It was a bit more tricky to topstitch but thankfully it turned out well in the end.  


   Sorry for the lack of ironing. I am sure you will be seeing a new trio this summer....maybe sleeveless.  Best money ever spent......love you Grainline!!


Friday, January 8, 2016

Burda 6851 - Curves!!!

I have a love/hate relationship with Burda.  I either LOVE their patterns or I truly HATE them......no in-between feelings ever!  Well folks, love is in the air!  Burda 6851 is fabulous..........great design, easy make and so comfortable!!


The fabric is a poly/lycra blend.  I picked up both fabrics in the discount bin at Colorado Fabric a couple of years ago.  The printed fabric was a little over a half yard of random prints.  I never knew what to do with it but I guess it was just waiting for me to find this pattern.  


The pattern was drafted so well!  Everything fit together perfectly.....including the neckline.....LOVE!  I used my serger so this shirt was done in an evening.  I really love the fit and the style!  I will be making a dress in the near future.  


I think my daughter may have also been inspired by the ease of making this shirt.  Hope to show off her make in the near future.  FYI: It is snowing in Colorado.