Friday, March 24, 2017

My Jacket Love Affair!

I had a blast sewing this jacket! Best time I have ever spent at my sewing machine and it is also my all-time favorite sew!  Now that, is a winning combination...super fun and best project ever!  I finished the jacket while it was 75 degrees outside with no snow in the future....so sad.  Thankfully next week is suppose to be full of snow and wind so hopefully I will finally be able to wear it!!!!


Pattern
Waffle Utility Jacket Tosti  I clearly love this pattern. When I first opened the pattern, I did get a bit intimidated but there was no need.  The directions are so clear and well-written it was almost like having a mentor right beside me.  The sizing was spot on too!  I made a muslin and it fit the first time....even with my super wide shoulders.   I took my time with this one but never got frustrated or felt the need to toss the whole project out the window.


Fabric
I used a 100% cotton twill for the body of the coat and a Kaufman flannel for the lining.  I bought a couple of yards of the twill and made an apron a couple of weeks before making the jacket.  That way I was able to wash the heck out of it to make sure the fabric would hold up well. Thankfully, it did because I love the color and the price at Hobby Lobby couldn't be beat!  


Favorite Part
The best part about this pattern is that it is constructed in a way that is completely stress-free.  All the pockets go on before any construction begins so if I messed up I only had to re-cut that one piece. Even the snap portion (they were the scariest part for me) which is in the final stages of the project could easily be removed and replaced.   I LOVED that.  


Alterations
I followed this pattern to the letter but did run into a problem with the back vents at the end.  I finished the jacket with beautifully sewn vents and decided to try it on once more before adding the lining.  Sadly, my big ole booty caused the vents to stand straight out.  Heartbreaking!  I should have added the full vent to my muslin.  :(  Since you cut the fabric when you make the vents, I was unable to just unpick them and move on.  Instead, I just sewed them down.  I had to get creative with the back seams of the lining so they're not straight but I am happy with the finally product.  






Current Obsession
It is even sewing related this week!  I am IN LOVE with Allary Chalk Cartridge Set.  I don't know how I have lived without this for so long.  I am forever struggling with market tools but no more.... because this is the bomb!!!  Am I the only clueless soul in the world that didn't know about this amazing tool?   






3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a great jacket! And with out non-winters here in the southeast, I'd actually get use out of if. Buying that pattern! Where did you get the chalk markers? Since Hancock's shut down, I've only got a JoAnn's (yuck) and a Hobby Lobby (scarce stock) in the vicinity. I'm currently sewing up all the backlog in my studio or ordering online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to proofread, sorry. Meant to type 'with our non-winters'

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much. The cheapest place I have found the chalk is at Amazon. I added the link in the post. Sadly, I have not seen it anywhere else.

      Delete